Day 3 – Roma, Italy

I started my day at 6:30am and did not get the best night’s sleep (maybe the jet lag kicked in?)

I was excited for my tour. I made an espresso, had some oatmeal and protein powder, and was out the door in 30 minutes. I made sure to leave plenty of time to get on the metro and arrive early for my tour.

For once, my directions were spot-on. I met up with the group and started chatting with a lady from the U.S. (east coast). It was nice to actually have a conversation with someone. We chatted about our families, swapped pictures, and shared our experiences in Rome so far.

Once we broke off into our groups, the tour began. Our tour guide was amazing! We started off in the Colosseum and ended at the Roman Forum. It was breathtaking to be in such a historic place. I loved hearing about the politics of Rome, and seeing the pictures of how the buildings stood in history, with the complete columns and marble covered walls compared to the ruins they have become. I really liked hearing the stories of the emperors and the dictators.

My favorite part was hearing about the House of the Vestal Virgins. The daughters of Rome’s emperors were selected to live in the house, from as early as age 6. They were housed away from the public, and were very powerful. Legend had it that if someone were sentenced to death, and on the way to their execution happened to pass by a vestal virgin and she looked them in the eye, they would not be executed. The women were to live as virgins until age 30, and after that they could choose to leave or to stay. Most, however, stayed. If a vestal virgin had sex, the man they had sex with was immediately killed, and the vestal virgin was buried alive, because they were not allowed to be killed. No vestal virgin blood could ever be spilled.

After the tour ended, I rushed to the metro to La Carbonara, and then realized I didn’t even really need to take the train and could have walked. Failed directions again. Needless to say, it gave me more time to take in the city.

I was seated next to another solo diner, and after I found out he spoke English I introduced myself. His name was Kevin and he was from Toronto, Canada. How lucky for me! I actually get to chat some more. I ordered the spaghetti carbonara, along with the chicken and mushrooms dish. The pasta was cooked al dente, with gooey cheese, butter, and sprinkled with crispy pancetta. Kevin ordered the mozzarella as an apetizer and he offered me a bite which I obviously could not refuse. It was so fresh and flavorful.

After I finished my lunch, I walked around a little bit and then hopped back on the metro to my flat. Today has been my favorite day so far, as I have seen many great sights, and been filled with gratefulness and awe.

Tomorrow, I’m planning to go to Eurgym for an early morning workout, followed by taking the train into Rome again to visit the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain.